Mercer Island Beach Club is seeking Camp Counselors for summer 2019. The primary responsibility of the Camp Counselor is to supervise and lead children ages 5-12 through day camp activities such as games, swimming, sports and arts & crafts while providing a safe supervised environment for campers. Please find application at www.mibeachclub.com/the-club/employment and submit to email@example.com. This is a seasonal, non-exempt, position.
DURATION AND HOURS: Counselors work between 20 – 37.5 hours a week with hours between 8:45 am to 4:00 pm, Monday-Friday. Camp dates: July 8th – August 16th, 2019.
PAY RATE: DOE. Ranges $12 – $18.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise and manage a group of children, maintaining discipline within the group at all times.
- Play and lead a variety of active games and activities with children on a daily basis.
- Assist in planning and coordination of schedule activities.
- Implement scheduled program activities that are age-appropriate.
- Be flexible and able to plan activities on the spot.
- Assist in maintaining a clean and attractive camp area.
- Maintain supplies and equipment.
- Be open, friendly, and approachable to campers, parents, and other staff members.
- Attend pre-camp staff training and meetings.
- Set a good example for campers in all areas, including cleanliness, punctuality, clean-up chores, rules, and sportsmanship.
- Meet/communicate regularly with General Manager regarding concerns, updates, and challenges.
- Provide a safe environment for participants and have the ability to respond quickly to an emergency.
- Experience in leading children in one or more of the following areas; recreational games, swimming, arts and crafts, or sports preferred but not required.
- Must be enthusiastic, energetic, reliable, trustworthy, and willing to put forth a good effort.
- Passionate about working with children.
- The ability to be sensitive to the needs of all the campers.
- Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Candidate must pass background check prior to being hired.
- Must possess or be able to obtain First Aid/CPR certification prior to start date.
- Must be able to physically play and demonstrate games, work with arts and crafts materials.
- Indoor and outdoor recreational environment subject to noise, distractions, seasonal heat, adverse weather conditions and periodic interruptions.
- Exposure to extended periods of direct sunlight and/or cool and damp weather is possible.
- Strong stamina.
- May assist with program set-up and take-down.
- Employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 40 pounds.
- Employee may be required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl.
- Ability to work with large groups of individuals.
- Be able to respond and react to an emergency in an effective manner.